Doesn’t it always seem windy on trash day? Lots of litter seems to find its way onto the streets in Philly. This page will discuss ways we can keep our ward clean and beautiful. For official requirements, please see the city’s Residential Trash and Recycling page.
- Find your trash collection day.
- Do not put your trash out for collection until the day before your trash collection day.
- Please clearly separate your trash and recycling.
- Please keep the area in front of your home clear of litter.
- Trash Containers
- Use a trash bin with a lid (maximum size: 32 gallons)
- Use substantial trash bags (maximum size: 32 gallons, maximum weight: 40 pounds)
- Please do not put out trash unbagged or as small pieces that can blow down the street.
- Trash Limits
- Premises with one unit/single family: four cans or eight bags
- Premises with two to six units: six cans or 12 bags
- Premises with businesses: six cans or 12 bags
- Two bags may be substituted for one can.
- Review the city guidelines for items that have special rules (such as batteries, furniture, mattresses, tree pieces, medical waste, etc.)
- Review the city guidelines for items that are not allowed at all (such as appliances, electronics, hazardous waste, tires, construction materials, etc.)
- See the city guidelines for which items should and should not be recycled.
- Get a FREE recycling bin from the city.
After a City-observed holiday, trash and recycling collection are delayed by one day for the rest of the week. Here’s a list of holidays:
- New Year’s Day – Saturday, January 1, 2022
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Monday, January 17, 2022
- Presidents’ Day – Monday, February 21, 2022
- Good Friday – Friday, April 15, 2022
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 30, 2022
- Juneteenth (Observed) – Monday, June 20, 2022
- Independence Day – Monday, July 4, 2022
- Labor Day – Monday, September 5, 2022
- Indigenous Peoples’ Day – Monday, October 10, 2022
- Veterans Day – Friday, November 11, 2022
- Thanksgiving – Thursday, November 24, 2022
- Christmas Day (Observed) – Monday, December 26, 2022
Illegal dumping is a problem. People disrespect our community when they dump trash on empty lots. To get the city to clean it up, please report illegal dumping through 311 online, by calling 3-1-1, or downloading the Philly 311 app, which is the easiest way to include pictures so they know what kind of equipment they’ll need.
If you see illegal dumping taking place, please call the police.